Cookies, family gatherings, turkey dinners, work parties, candy, Christmas shopping… sound familiar? The holidays can be jam-packed with temptations that aren’t present during the rest of the year. How can you have a healthy holiday season amidst these temptations?
It’s important more now than ever to support your body during this time because the holiday season can be a struggle for most. Not only are there treats and baked goods everywhere, but the stress of busy schedules can cause the metabolism to slow down, weight to increase, and energy to drop. When you are attending social events and family gatherings, the last thing you want is to feel sluggish and tired.
With these easy-to-implement tips, you can skip the holiday humbug and feel amazing as you start the New Year.
1. Stay hydrated.
Did you know that the two most common symptoms of dehydration are headache and fatigue? Instead of that morning cup of coffee, drink 16 ounces of warm water with the juice of ½ lemon. The lemon stimulates digestion and will keep that metabolism running smoothly. Continue your water intake throughout the day so you are drinking 34 ounces of water per 50 lbs. of body weight. That’s your own personal ounce requirement.
2. Start with raw.
If you have an event or dinner to attend, snack before you go! Carrot sticks, celery, a small salad, or any raw veggie that you like will do the trick. Raw vegetables contain enzymes that the body needs for digestion while also containing fiber to help satiate you. When you go to the party, you will be less likely to indulge in pastry puffs because the raw veggies feed your physiological hunger. The psychological hunger is a different story!
3. Be mindful.
It’s not about perfection, but being mindful of what and when you’re eating is important. Next time you find yourself standing over the chip bowl, ask yourself if you really enjoy eating chips or are you just eating them because you’re bored? The more mindful you are of what you’re eating, the healthier choices you will make. Aim for the 80/20 lifestyle. 80% of the time you should eat for nutrition and the other 20% is because you’re human. Perfection is overrated!
4. Avoid empty calories.
Let’s be honest, the holidays typically include alcohol. Alcohol packs on the calories, dehydrates the body, and requires additional detoxification. If you’re going to indulge in a holiday drink, stick to clear. Tequila and vodka are your best options, as they don’t contain as many calories as other drinks like wine or beer.
5. Increase leafy green intake.
Spinach, kale, watercress, Swiss chard, collard greens, parsley, and the list goes on. Greens are alkalizing, energizing, and detoxifying to the body. With increased sugar intake during the holidays, greens are important to keep the body in balance. Smoothies are a great way to get your greens in on a daily basis. Try this recipe:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Handful spinach
- Handful parsley
- ½ cup frozen mango
- ½ banana
- 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
Add all ingredients to a blender, blend until desired consistency, and enjoy!
You can find other green smoothie recipes HERE.
6. Focus on what’s important.
The most important thing about staying healthy during the holidays is focusing on the long-term. How do you want to feel tomorrow, 1-week from now, 3 months from now? If you want more energy and better digestion, those cream puffs probably aren’t the best idea. I promise that those “in-the-moment” decisions become a lot easier with the big picture in mind.
I encourage you to enjoy the special people around you, celebrate the reason for the season, and use the tips I mentioned to help you stay healthy during the holidays. The New Year is right around the corner!
With joy and health,
P.S. If you need support during this time of the year, apply for a FREE Start-Up Session and let’s chat! It’s more than possible to maintain a healthy lifestyle during the hustle and bustle of the holidays. I would love to support you!